See “What Can I Do with Food Leftovers?” (OneSharedEarth, 2019) for Ideas for 'compleating' leftover meals and ingredients.
Ideas for 'compleating' stale, spoilt or over ripe food:
- Stale bread can be baked with drizzled olive oil, made into croutons or breadcrumbs to be used in recipes.
- Stale pitta and tortilla wraps can be baked.
- Over ripe or spoilt fruits can be frozen, baked, cooked or made into juice, smoothie, jam or pie.
- Wilting salad leaves and vegetables can be used in stir fry, soup, smoothie or juice.
Ideas for 'compleating' hard to eat stuff:
- Skin of many fruits, vegetables & meat can be eaten.
- Carcass & bones can be added to stock.
- Stems, stalks, tops, ends, cores, leaves & peels can be added to smoothie, stock, soup, stew, stir fry, roast, dips, pesto or sauce.
- Parmesan rind can be chopped into a stew, soup or risotto.
- Citrus peels can be candied or used for flavouring in teas, liquor and other recipes.
- Pumpkin, squash & acorn seeds can be toasted and eaten.
Ideas for food preservation:
Many of the above ideas have been taken from the resources below which can gives more details on these methods:
“20 Easy Ways to Reduce Your Food Waste” (Healthline, 2017)
Best C, “25 Ways to Use up Leftover Ingredients” (BBC Good Food, 2019)
“Compleating 101” (Lovefoodhatewaste.com, 2018)
Foster K, “The Kitchn’s Ultimate Guide for Using Up Every Type of Food” (Kitchn, 2015)